Saturday, August 1, 2015

Exception: Rant Against Indian Reality TV Shows

A diversion from my usual football talk. This is my rant at Indian Reality TV Shows :-). Firstly shows like Roadies and Splitsvilla are all about aggression, swearing and violence. The aggression and violence doesn't seem natural. It seems like something they do just to get an increase in TRPs. Scripted, maybe? Are they portraying that young Indians are aggressive, rude and foul mouthed and it's cool to be so? Maybe that's what they are. I wouldn't know for sure. I have never been to India or know any Indians in that age group personally.

What is insightful though is the mentality of the men especially. It can be disgusting and narrow minded. I cringe hearing them speak their mind on women and sexuality. For a show like Splitsvilla where it's based on single men and women getting to know each other and dating, I can accept that the back stabbing and politics in the show are part of the game and part of entertainment. The testosterone on the show lead to fights among the men and the jealousy among the ladies lead to cat fights but from what I have seen on the show, the quality is so bad that I don't understand what are they even fighting about?! I can't imagine a show of similar theme in an European/South American/North American country displaying such poor quality on TV. What were the producers thinking when they cast these girls and guys? Or were they not much options available to choose from?

An annoying aspect of these shows would be the background music in these shows. Why do you need music from Bollywood films and songs as background music for an adventure/task based reality show ie Roadies and on a dating based reality ie Splitsvilla (Even if romance and Bollywood are intertwined)? Why can't they get someone to provide original background score instead?

Next we come to dance based reality shows. It's dime a dozen as are music based reality shows. I don't watch music based reality shows so I can't comment on them so I would reserve my comments on the dance based reality shows that I watch a bit of. Granted India is a country with lots of passion and talent for dancing, singing and films but on the subject of dance shows, it is annoying that on every dance show, the participants perform to the same set of songs. When it comes to performances of regional dance forms, why can't they perform on authentic regional songs instead of dancing on Bollywood songs or on the same regional song repeated a million times over different shows. When performing to a Michael Jackson song, why can't they just perform to a Michael Jackson song instead of mixing the beats of a popular Michael Jackson track on a Bollywood track?

Finally on comedy shows, granted it is scripted and not reality based but is beating and slapping someone really funny? Does that tickle the funny bone of an Indian? Beats me, pun unintended. Comedy Nights With Kapil is very popular and well-received the world over amongst the Indian/South Asian diaspora but I feel the best portions on this show are the portions when Kapil does the stand up comedy and when the guests come on the show. The sketches in the show are too repetitive to be funny anymore. It has become annoying to the point that I feel the show is over-hyped. The other show I watch is Comedy Classes. It is funny as long as it is acted well and the sketches are well-directed. Otherwise the mimicry on the show can get lazy and repetitive. Can't they be more creative on the mimicry?

Rant over.....The next post will be on football I promise :-). Sorry no pictures on this one :-D

No comments: